Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) and the Urban Traffic Plan (PUT) of the Municipality of Piacenza, complemented/integrated by the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
The Municipality of Piacenza (102,000 inhabitants approx.) has commissioned TRT Trasporti e Territorio, through a public tender, to draft the Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan and the Urban Transport Plan of the city of Piacenza.
The drafting of the SUMP of Piacenza was developed in accordance with the ELTIS’ methodology and, at the national level, with the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Decree August 4, 2017). The SUMP was launched in October 2018 and it consists of the following activities:
- updating of the local mobility and planning context;
- evaluation of the current scenario (diagnostic framework and SWOT analysis) and definition of general and specific objectives and indicators;
- elaboration of the Plan and quantification of resources, including the identification of alternative scenarios (RS and SP), the ex-ante evaluation (technical, economic and environmental), the quantification of financial resources and the definition of the monitoring system;
- adoption and approval of the plan.
In parallel, a traffic simulation tool was developed for technical, environmental and economic assessment.
A crucial element of the Plan’s drafting process was the participatory process, which included: i) a survey aimed at those who live, work and study in Piacenza, with the dual purpose to define the transport demand and to know the needs of those who move daily across the city; ii) thematic and territorial focus groups; iii) informal evenings to explain the Plan to residents; iv) a final conference.
The Plan was subjected to Strategic Environmental Assessment, adopted with the Municipal Council Resolution n.2020 / 20 – of 24/01/2020 and approved by the City Council in December 2020.
Following the SUMP, the Urban Traffic Plan (PUT) will be drawn up, representing the short-term scenario of the SUMP. The integration between SUMP and PUT, allows to integrate/match the short-term measures, feasible with limited resources, with the longer-term ones of strategic value selected by the SUMP.
Tavola SP_05, Scenario di Piano – Ciclabilità
For more information
- Documents available on comune.piacenza.it (only available in italian)
- “Sustainable Mobility Planning in Piacenza, Italy”. Case study published on Eltis Platform
Municipality of Piacenza
2018 – 2020