Study on the implementation of the amendments to Directive 96/53/EC amended by Directive 719/2015 (implementation of vehicle weight and dimension Directive)
Directive 96/53/EC regulates the maximum authorised dimensions in national and international traffic and the maximum authorised weights in international traffic, both of passenger and freight vehicles. The evolving market, technological development and new international emission targets has required a review od the Directive in 2015 by Directive (EU) 719/2015. The amendments introduced concern:
- the installation of retractable or foldable aerodynamic devices to the rear of the vehicles;
- alternatively fueled vehicles to increase the maximum weight;
- the use of aerodynamic cabs with safer profiles;
- the increase in weight for passenger buses;
- the carriage of 45-feet containers and 45-feet swap bodies as part of intermodal transport operations.
The objective of this study is to provide input to the Commission report, on the implementation of the amendments to Directive (EU) 2015/719 taking into account the specific characteristics of certain market segments.
Five segments has been investigated by TRT in partnership with COWI:
- Hight Capacity Vehicles (HCV);
- Car carrier vehicles;
- Vehicles with equipment (crane, lift etc.);
- Vehicle for the transport of indivisible loads;
- Transport of military equipment.
European Commission, DG MOVE
2019 – 2021