Development of a business plan, with main focus on the maritime freight traffic, concerning the activation of a new rail service connecting the Port of Venice (Italy) and Villach (Austria)
The Venice Port Authority, partner of the Central Europe “Empiric” project, instructed TRT to develop a business plan, with main focus on the maritime freight traffic, concerning the activation of a new rail service between the Port of Venice and Villach.
Objectives of the study were:
- analysing the market, detecting types and quantities of goods to be transported by new rail service as well as identify potential customers,
- identification of a possible MTO (Multimodal Transport Operator)interested in carry out the service and description of the possible logistics terminals that can be used,
- definition of a railway operation model with identification of usable infrastructure and slots as well as the frequency of the service and volume of freight,
- development of economic and financial analysis able to verify the pricing policies to be adopted for startup and maintenance of the service, the potential economic and financial resources in support of activities, the structural investments, the need for incentives for the implementation and maintenance of the service,
- implementation of an environmental balance analysis through the identification of appropriate environmental indicators.